Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Let's Get Physical

Hey, so, you know what sucks? Having a cold in the summer. But for the last week and a half, I've had one. Yesterday, I also woke up with a killer toothache. So... I'm kinda falling apart.

I'm on week five of veganism. I've cheated three times in small ways... I've had a brownie that contained eggs, some potato salad that contained mayo and eggs, and half of a cookie that I am assuming had both eggs and butter. But that's it! I've been doing pretty well! (Oh, and I've broken my no soda rule with a couple of Sierra Mist/Sprites while being sick.)

I've had a couple of people tell me that the reason I've been sick is that I'm detoxing. And that could certainly be true. I know the inside of my mouth feels a little rough, like I'm having an allergic reaction of sorts, and this cold has really messed with my ability to breath in that in feels like something heavy is sitting on my chest. So I was on some meds, and I keep my little inhaler close by, and I'm finally starting to feel better (except for the toothache).

Anyway, enough complaining. I'm down about 10 lbs, which is kinda awesome, and I've started having people tell me that I look like I'm losing weight, which is pretty cool too. The energy has started waning a bit, so I've decided to start taking a B-12 (started today), and I'm hoping that will help with that.

So what have I been eating? Lots of stuff! I have been really hungry for the past few days, and I've just been feeding myself with whatever will satisfy me.

One of my favorite dishes I had several times while I've been sick is a take on ramen noodles. I always want ramen when I'm sick, so the boyfriend and I made a vegan recipe with them. A co-worker started calling them Ramen Newmans, after the boyfriend, so here you go:

Ramen Newmans
Ingredients:
1 pkg ramen noodles (throw out the seasoning packet)
2 cups water
1 spoonful Better Than Bouillon Veggie
1-2 tbsp tamari GF soy sauce
1 tbsp chopped garlic
handful frozen corn and green peas
Directions:
Bring water, garlic and bouillon to a boil, add noodles and cook until soft. Turn off heat, add other ingredients, salt and pepper to taste, let the hot broth warm the frozen veggies, done!
For the first time the other night, I made a green smoothie. It was good! Well, I mean, it was good considering I added peanut butter, and I despise the taste of peanut butter. But could I taste the spinach? Nope. Do I need to find a replacement for the peanut butter that doesn't cost $14 a jar (cough, cashew butter, cough)? Yes. And, once I find that, I'll add a recipe.

One thing I find interesting about this is how I'm craving things that I normally would've never eaten. Example? Sloppy Joes. I've never, ever, ever been a fan of ground meat in dishes. I love meatloaf and meatballs, and I would occasionally have a burger, but loose ground meat always made me want to gag. I think I probably ate maybe one or two sloppy joes growing up, if that. But, for some reason, I've been desperately craving sloppy joes. I've made two recipes so far, the second one today, and I'm pretty happy with what I found. It's not exactly what I want, but I had a sandwich and a half from today's recipe, so I would say it's certainly edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment